Saturday, December 20, 2008

A hitch in my get-a-along

I have come to the realization that I can no longer wear heels.

This is distressing to me since most of my shoes have at least a 1in heel or higher.

Why can't I wear heels anymore?

Mostly because for the past four weeks it feels like my right leg is trying to detach itself at the hip and walk away on it's own. I now sleep with an abnormally long pillow between my knees and ankles and have only recently (this morning) realized that heels make it worse. Today is the first day in many that I can get up from my chair at work and not walk like an 80 year old woman. It still has a distinctive pain to it, but it's much less than it was, say yesterday.

You know, times like this cause me to think back to the not so distant past when my view of pregancy was less than flattering. I would look at these women and although I was generally sympathetic to their pains, I was thinking, "Your uterus is expanding will you get a grip? It's not like your leg is going to fall off or your stomach will eat itself".

At this time, I would like to say, I'm sorry. My thinking was so horribly wrong that it's almost laughable. I'm sorry for my unsympathetic thoughts, because now I realize; Pregnancy isn't just about your uterus, it's like a virus that takes over your whole body.

5 comments:

mandy said...

I remember not understanding the pregnancy waddle until I was pregnant with my first. I realized it has less to do with the big belly and more to do with the legs that are in so much pain that you can barely walk. Also, I got so attached to my body pillow with my first pregnancy that I haven't been able to sleep without it since.

Welcome to a new and not always great club.

Pamela said...

Now I know what you were really thinking about me when i was big and pregnant and walking like i was cripeled ever time I stood up. :)
I am sorry you can't wear your heals anymore. I remember that day, get use to your flats. They are your friend.

Mrs. C. Robbins said...

I am sorry you feel so crumby! I think it will get better when the baby makes up it's mind to pop out. (or, at least that is what they say.)

I HATE not being able to ware cute shoes and High heels too; but because of all the many issues I have with my feet, we all know that will never happen in this life.
It has always been a bummer because i LOVE high Heels. When you are dating a man who love feet, you really want to ware the cute stuff but you just can't; because your feet are too ugly and every shoe hurts; or makes your foot do weird things!

Oh well I guess that by now, Jonathan has started to realize that he will have to wait to see me in all the sexy shoes and heels. I will ware them in the next life! :-) ....I just wish they made cute flats that still had enough ANKLE SUPPORT for me. I have never really found any.

Leah said...

Oh I remember when that happened it was like the world came to an end for me to be honest. I really only have heels too.. it's almost pathetic to think I had to go buy flats. But it was so wroth it, I don't know how I see 9 month pregnant women in 3 inch heels!! My knees have never been the same and I'm with Mandy on the body pillow.

It totally is a virus...I felt the same way.

JenRN said...

hi there - jen, dave's older cousing in TX... welcome to the club of mommy-to-be. I agree with Mandy, too... it is a unique place to be... get used to flats for a bit, you will learn to love them too... at least they make cuter ones now (back in the day... like 20 years ago) they weren't as cute as they are now... much love! whens the baby due?

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP